What can i do...

If Abuse or Violence is Happening to Me?

If violence is happening to you, the first step is to understand that it is not your fault. You can get support by telephoning us to talk about the things that have been happening, and find out some ideas about how to feel and be safer.

Violence is against the law, and is it your right to live your life without being afraid. If you have children, you have a right to raise them in a safe and loving environment. There is nothing you can do to provoke violence against you. Violence is a behaviour, and all behaviours are a choice.

It is important to have a safety plan in place, so you might like to think about people or places you can go to if you need to, in order to be safe. This could be your family, friends, police station or women’s refuge. It might also be helpful to have some money and any important documents somewhere safe in case you need them.

For more information on safety planning, please give us a call.

If I am Using Abuse & Violence in My Relationship?

If you are using abuse in your relationship, it is important to know that by asking for help and acknowledging your use of violence,  you are seeking a life for yourself and your loved ones that is free from fear and violence. This is the first and most difficult step. This will be a time of significant change.

There are people and places to help you with information and support. We all need help during times of change.

You could try contacting the Uniting Care Community on 07 5452 9797, or Mensline on 1800 600 636.

If I Know Someone who is Living with Abuse & Violence?

If you know someone who is being subject to abuse in their relationships, it may cause you to feel a number of conflicting emotions. Always believe someone who discloses violence in their relationship; it is more likely to be true than false. Assuming that they are lying will place them at greater risk and prevent them from getting appropriate support.

It is important to remember that the most dangerous time for a person, is just after leaving a relationship (if that is what they choose to do). Do not pressure a person into leaving a relationship; if this is their choice, it must be carefully thought through.

The best you can do for someone in a violent relationship is to offer your unconditional and non- judgmental support. Offer to assist them if they ask for your help. You might offer to keep something safe for them, such as their personal documents or a  bag of clothes.
There is a range of information available on the internet (see the links page) for friends and family of people in abusive relationships. You might also like to come into CADA to discuss your experiences and ways to cope.

It is always important to look after your own emotional and physical safety.
If you have concerns about a child in a violent relationship, you could contact Department of Child Safety or the Police.